Each year, the National Park Service opens up its doors to the Grand Canyon for free! Known as “Free Days,” the entrance fees are waived and you are allowed entry into the Grand Canyon for free. There are five “Free Days” in 2019 that include the Grand Canyon and an additional 100 National Parks, Recreation Areas, National Monuments, and National Reserves.
During the Grand Canyon’s Free Days, you could hike from the Rim-to-River-and-Back, free of charge!
When Are Free Entrance Days For The Grand Canyon?
The scheduled free entrance days for the Grand Canyon in 2019 include:
- January 21: Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- April 20: First day of National Park Week
- August 25: National Park Service Birthday
- September 28: National Public Lands Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
It’s very easy to take advantage of a Free Day! Roll up to the entrance of the Grand Canyon and a Ranger will wave you through, free of charge!
During these days, not only are the entrance fees waived for the Grand Canyon but there are special events that can include: stargazing tours, presentations at the museums, live music, and organized group hikes. Check the Grand Canyon’s event calendar before the next Free Day to learn about what events are taking place.
Not A Free Day? No Problem
While we love the Free Days at the Grand Canyon, unfortunately there are 360 non-free days in 2019. For those days, you’ll have to pony up and pay the entrance fees. The 2019 rates are as follows:
- Vehicle entrance fee:- $35 per car (non-commercial vehicle)
- Motorcycle entrance fee: $30 per motorcycle
- Walk-in entrance fee: $20 per person entering the Grand Canyon by foot
- Bike-in entrance fee: $20 per person entering the Grand Canyon by bike
- Bus-in entrance fee: $20 per person entering the Grand Canyon by park shuttle bus from nearby Tusayan
- Grand Canyon Railway entrance fee: $20 per person entering via the train from nearby Williams
If you’re thinking of visiting the Grand Canyon or any other National Park within a single year, we recommend you take advantage and purchase the “America the Beautiful Pass” which is the annual pass that allows unlimited entry into more than 2,000 National Parks, Recreation Areas, National Monuments, and National Reserves throughout the United States including the Grand Canyon.
For just $80 a year, this pass is absolute worth the investment- considering that the entrance fees to the Grand Canyon alone range from $20-35 per person/car.
Enjoy your next Free Day at the Grand Canyon! We’ll see you out there for a hike!